Continuum of HIV Care: Conclusions
The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program serves over half a million individuals living with or affected by HIV.
Of the HIV+ Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program clients who received RW-funded medical care:
- 76% were retained in medical care
- 80% were prescribed antiretroviral therapy
- 70% had viral load suppressed
Rates of retention, ART prescription, and viral load suppression are high compared to previously reported CDC continuum data (CDC 2012) but demonstrate room for improvement. These improvements will help to achieve the goals of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy and improve individual and public health.
- CDC. HIV in the United States: stages of care. CDC Fact Sheet, July 2012.
- CDC. Recommendations of the U.S. Public Health Service Task Force on the Use of Zidovudine to Reduce Perinatal Transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus. MMWR Recommendations and Reports August 05, 1994 / 43(RR11);1-20.
- Cheever L. Engaging HIV-infected patients in care: their lives depend on it. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007;44:1500-2.
- Das M et al. Decreases in community viral load are accompanied by reductions in new HIV infections in San Francisco. PLoS One 5(6): e11068. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0011068.
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Guidelines for use of antiretroviral agents for the treatment of HIV-1-infection in adults and adolescents. Updated 2/12/2013. http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/html/1/adult-and-adolescent-arv-guidelines/0/
- Fellegi IP, Sunter AB. A theory of record linkage. J Am Stat Assoc 1969;64:1183–210.
- HRSA/HAB. http://hab.hrsa.gov/manageyourgrant/files/2010clientleveldatafields.pdf.
- Jia Z et al. Antiretroviral therapy to prevent HIV transmission in serodiscordant couples in China (2003-11): a national observational cohort study. Lancet 2012 Dec 1. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61898-4.
- Montaner JSG et al. Expanded highly active antiretroviral therapy coverage among HIV-positive drug users to improve individual and public health outcomes. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2010;55:S5–S9.
- Mugavero M et al. Health care system and policy factors influencing engagement in HIV medical care: piecing together the fragments of a fractured health care delivery system. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011; 52(Suppl 2): S238-S246.
Previous Results: Viral Load Suppression